Page 1208 - Insight Bait

16th Apr 2019, 6:00 AM
<<First Latest>>
Insight Bait
Average Rating: 0 (0 votes)
<<First Latest>>

Author Notes:

Newbiespud 16th Apr 2019, 6:00 AM edit delete
Newbiespud
I gotta admit - the more I pore over Season 8 for this arc, the more I kinda love it. I know the internet can talk about "objective show quality" until the heat-death of the universe, but I just personally love the characters they introduced, the things they tried, the places they went, and the way it set up its payoffs.

Really, it's just a lot of new toys in the fandom/narrative toybox, which is what it was always meant to be from a corporate standpoint... but as someone who is by necessity elbow deep in that toybox, I gotta admit there's some new things in the box I really like.

35 Comments:

ANW 16th Apr 2019, 6:08 AM edit delete reply
If I remember correctly, we are currently on e5 of D&D.

What is your favorite and least favorite changes?
andreas002 16th Apr 2019, 6:24 AM edit delete reply
andreas002
My favorite part of D&D 5e is its simplicity.
It's easy to get into and character creation/leveling is quick. There is less rules bloat for random corner cases compared to for example D&D 3.75 (Pathfinder)

My least favorite part of D&D 5e is its simplicity.
It has far too few options to really distinguish characters from each other. You make far less mechanically significant decisions compared to for example D&D 3.75 (Pathfinder).
Archone 16th Apr 2019, 12:56 PM edit delete reply
Personally, I like game systems that are classless and offer plenty of room for customization... preferably in an easy and understandable format. People rip on 4th edition, but I've got some old books in my library for 1st and 2nd edition AD&D. As a little kid I played in games in that setting... THAC0's bad enough, but in 1st edition each individual weapon had a bonus or penalty to hit depending on what AC it was targeting.

Though to be honest, there are specific aspects of D&D that I never much cared for in the first place. Alignment's a big one - especially the way it gets implemented, with races listed as "(almost) always chaotic evil," which players generally interpret as "walking bags of loot and XP, murder without hesitation." Also, the magic system is based on an obscure fantasy book Gygax liked, with the "memorize spells and forget them after you cast" bit. I much prefer MP based systems, or the "each spell requires you to resist damage" mechanics from Shadowrun.

Of course, the Zeroth law and the tradition of house rules means that you don't have to have anything in your game you don't want to. It's not Major League Baseball, it's Calvinball! :)
Wulfraed 17th Apr 2019, 7:48 AM edit delete reply
"""game systems that are classless and offer plenty of room for customization"""

If this broken record may bounce tracks once again -- I'd have to recommend RuneQuest: no classes or experience points, three magic systems [spirit, divine/rune, sorcery (only first 2 in 2nd Edition); one can learn any and all forms], characters gain skills through the successful use of said skill [if you are a beginner with a 25% chance of success, and were successful, you have a 75% chance to increase it by a few points].

For most characters, Rune magic behaves somewhat like the "memorize/forget" -- one has to sacrifice POW to gain a one-use spell from the deity. Priests get multi-use ability (priest is not a "class" -- it requires mastery [>90% or so] in a few skills specific to the deity/cult, and having sacrificed POW (Closest D&D would be sacrificing Wisdom; POW is one of the few characteristics that can change over time)

Although if you don't want to learn the world of Glorantha you'll have to find an old copy of 3rd Edition [Avalon Hill boxed set and supplements] to get "Fantasy Earth"; Chaosium 2nd Edition, and the recently released 4th Edition are Glorantha-only ["Let sleeping dragons lie; especially if you've built your village on the side of one" -- during a war, the priest's managed to raise a dragon... Essentially an entire mountain range pulled away from the ground (this is part of the background history of Glorantha, not something one has gamed)].
Cliff Snowpeak 16th Apr 2019, 6:51 AM edit delete reply
Honestly, I really like the advantage system. It's simple, yet elegant, and is much easier on the brain than remembering a dozen different bonuses and penalties at the same time.
Jennifer 16th Apr 2019, 6:55 AM edit delete reply
I've been running Gateway, which basically just IS the advantage system and nothing else. Very easy to run and prep, which is good as I work with kids.
tipulsar85 16th Apr 2019, 6:54 AM